Source: UMass News and Media
The public should expect heavy traffic, some road closures and delays getting to and from the University of Massachusetts Amherst due to student move-out and commencement activities starting Wednesday, May 11 through Saturday, May 14.
Campus police say heavy traffic will begin on Wednesday and Thursday, May 11-12, when approximately 11,000 students will be moving out of residence halls those two days, with Commonwealth Honors College and the Southwest Residential Area being the most impacted. Visitors should be prepared for very busy traffic on Massachusetts Avenue, Commonwealth Avenue and Route 116. Traffic exiting the Southwest Residential Area and Commonwealth Honors College will be routed through Lot 71 west of Whitmore Hall onto Massachusetts Avenue.
In addition, Commonwealth Honors College will hold its Celebration of Excellence on Thursday, May 12 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Mullins Center.
On Friday, May 13, UMass Police say to expect heavy traffic all day with multiple ceremonies being held on campus. The campus will officially be closed for general business on Friday. A change for this year’s commencement activities on Friday, May 13 is that Graduate Commencement will take place in McGuirk Alumni Stadium starting at 9 a.m. and concluding at approximately 11:30 a.m. There will be a road closure starting at 7:30 a.m. until noon on University Drive from Massachusetts Avenue to Amity Street to assist buses transporting Graduate Commencement attendees. Additionally, Rocky Hill Road from University Drive to North Maple Street will be closed on Friday from 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. and then from 2 to 8 p.m. to accommodate shuttle bus traffic to both the Graduate and Undergraduate commencement ceremonies at McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
University Drive will be closed again to traffic from 2 to 8 p.m. on Friday to accommodate buses carrying Undergraduate Commencement attendees. Undergraduate Commencement will begin at 4:30 p.m. in McGuirk Alumni Stadium. North Pleasant Street also will be closed to all traffic from Massachusetts Avenue to Eastman Lane. Access to campus will be from the north on North Pleasant Street in North Amherst, from the south on Route 116 and from Amherst Center on North Pleasant Street.
UMass Police say visitors will be directed to park in the closest lot available when arriving on campus, and then they can take the free bus system to the various ceremonies, especially to Undergraduate Commencement. Moving cars from one parking lot to another will not be allowed.
FRIDAY, MAY 13 EVENTS
- Graduate Commencement – McGuirk Alumni Stadium
- ROTC Commissioning (Army) Ceremony – Bowker Auditorium, Stockbridge Hall
- University Without Walls, Interdisciplinary Studies – Bromery Center for the Arts
- College of Humanities and Fine Arts – Recreation Center
- School of Public Health and Health Sciences – Mullins Center
- Bachelor’s Degree/Undergraduate Commencement – McGuirk Alumni Stadium
7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
- ROTC Commissioning (Air Force) Ceremony – TBD
SATURDAY, MAY 14 EVENTS
- College of Natural Sciences – Mullins Center
- Elaine Marieb College of Nursing – Bromery Center for the Arts
- College of Engineering – Recreation Center
- Bachelor’s Degree with Individual Concentration – Campus Center Auditorium
- Associate Degree/Stockbridge School of Agriculture – Bowker Auditorium
- College of Social and Behavioral Sciences – Mullins Center
- College of Education – Campus Center Auditorium3:30-5 p.m.
- Robert and Donna Manning College of Information and Computer Sciences – Recreation Center
- Isenberg School of Management – Mullins Center