The Spring session of classes at the Sojourner Truth School for Social Change Leadership has begun. As always, all classes are free. Classes will be held over Zoom, February through April, and will be in-person in May. In-person classes will take place throughout Western Massachusetts in Springfield, Holyoke, Amherst, Easthampton and Greenfield. All classes are taught by BIPOC people or biracial pairs. Most classes are one-session and a few are multi-sessions.
Here is a sample of this spring’s offerings:
- Black Women Suffragists: Singing Our Story, taught by Dr. Kathy Bullock
- Mentoring Young People of Color, taught by Steven Hernandez
- Microaggressions: Death by a Thousand Cuts, taught by Amihan Jennifer Matias
- Slowing Down the Conversation: One Step Toward Cross-Racial Coalition Building, taught by Imani Romney-Rosa Chapman and Franny Silverman
- In the legacy of James Baldwin: Ta-Nehisi Coates’ and Imani Perry’s Letters to Black Boys, taught by Rose Sackey-Milligan (in person)
- Do Muslim Women Need Saving, taught by Tahirah Amatul-Wadud and Safiyah Bey (in person)
- The Middle East Without the U.S., taught by Dr. Sut Jhally and Dr. Michael Klare
- And so many more!!!
View the full lineup of classes and register at https://truthschool.org/events/
Sojourner Truth School for Social Change Leadership
We do one thing. Well.
We teach movement-building skills.
Class after class, week after week, month after month.
We prepare social change leaders to win movement struggles.
“The truth school is a unique experiment offering free community classes on a wide variety of skills for making social change happen now. Amidst the serious challenges we are facing, the school supports finding the path that can translate one’s unique talents, concerns and commitments into action.“
– Norma Akamatsu